Pet Air Safety Matters
10,895 signatures toward our 30,000 Goal
Sponsor: The Animal Rescue Site
Avoid stress, tragedy, and discomfort for both pets and passengers on flights. Take the pledge for pet friendly skies!
Are you an avid traveler who can't bear the thought of leaving your furry friend behind? Do you envision exciting adventures together, exploring new destinations with your beloved pet? While the idea of flying with your pet may seem like a dream come true, recent incidents suggest that the journey may not be as safe or enjoyable as it appears1. But here's the good news: You can make a difference!
Why Pet Air Travel Safety Matters
Imagine being crammed into a small space for hours, surrounded by unfamiliar noises, experiencing drastic changes in air pressure, and unable to communicate your anxiety and discomfort2. That's what it's like for our pets when they fly. Pet air travel can be fraught with danger. It's high time we prioritize the safety and well-being of our four-legged companions, who trust us to keep them safe on their adventures.
Sign the Pledge for Safer Pet Air Travel
We invite you to join us in taking a stand for the safety of our pets during airline travel. Our pledge is simple yet powerful. It's a commitment to ensuring a brighter, happier future for our furry friends. It involves essential actions like consulting your veterinarian3, avoiding hot months4, and choosing direct flights5.
By signing the pledge, you're joining a community of caring pet owners who believe in responsible, safe pet air travel. Your commitment will help raise awareness, influence airlines, and make the skies a more comfortable place for our four-legged companions. Together, we can create a world where pets no longer have to suffer the anxiety and stress of air travel.
The Impact of Your Pledge
With your help, fewer pets will face the risk of discomfort, injury, or worse during flights. The skies will become a more pet-friendly place, and future generations of travelers will thank you for it.
Sign the pledge now and be part of a movement that's transforming pet air travel for the better. Together, we can create a safer, happier future for pets and their humans when they take to the skies!
- Bart Jansen, USA Today (26 April 2017), "United Airlines accounted for a third of animal deaths on U.S. flights in last 5 years."
- Wet Nose Escapades (2023), "How Stressful Is Flying for Dogs?."
- Morgan Hines, USA Today (20 January 2022), "Flying with a dog for the first time? We asked a vet for advice."
- U.S. Department of Agriculture, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (2 June 2020), "Care and Handling of Pets During Air Travel - Instructions (Lesson 2)."
- BudgetAir.com (2023), "Direct, non-stop, and layover flights."
Airline travel can be a stressful experience for our beloved pets. The unfamiliar surroundings, loud noises, and air pressure changes can lead to anxiety and discomfort. Recent incidents have highlighted the potential risks of flying with pets, making it crucial to prioritize their safety and well-being.
To ensure a happier future for our pets and their humans, I pledge to take the following actions:
- Consult Your Veterinarian: Prior to flying, I will schedule a visit to the veterinarian to ensure my pet is fit for the journey.
- Avoid Hot Months: I will refrain from flying with my pet during the hot summer months when extreme temperatures can pose a risk.
- Choose Direct Flights: Whenever possible, I will opt for direct flights to minimize the chances of delays and mishaps during layovers.
- In-Cabin Travel: Depending on my pet's size, I will explore the option of having them travel in the passenger cabin with me, where conditions are more controlled and comfortable.
- Baggage Hold Preparations: If my pet must travel in the cargo hold, I will remind airline staff and baggage handlers about the live animal on board, and ensure proper ventilation, access to water, and secure kenneling.
- Beware of Brachycephalic Breeds: I will choose travel alternatives for breeds with respiratory vulnerabilities who should not fly due to the risk of suffocation.
- Accurate Documentation: I will ensure all required documentation, including vaccinations, identification, and microchips, are up to date and in order.
- Research Pet-Friendly Airlines: I will choose airlines with established pet-friendly policies and a reputation for safe pet travel.
- Pet-Friendly Accommodations: Before my trip, I will research and book pet-friendly accommodations at my destination to ensure a comfortable stay.
- Leave Them at Home When Possible: I will consider leaving my pet in trusted hands if I'll be returning soon, promoting a happy reunion and reducing travel-related stress.
By taking these actions, I commit to ensuring a safer, happier future for our pets and ourselves during airline travel. Together, we can make the skies a more comfortable place for our four-legged companions.